Skip to content
No matter how well you prepare, you’ll no doubt get stumped by some tricky residency interview questions on your interview trail.
Our best advice is to pause, think about what you want to convey, and answer honestly but tactfully.
Here are a few residency interview questions that we found particularly surprising:
• Teach me something non-medical in under one minute.
• Tell me a joke.
• What superpower do you have? What superpower would you want?
• Who are you most grateful for?
• What is your proudest achievement?
• How would your friends and colleagues describe you?
• If your house were on fire and you had time to save only 3 items, what would they be?
• Tell me about a time you faced discrimination.
• Tell me about a time you had to build a relationship with someone you didn’t like.
• What will you do if you don’t match?
Electronic Residency Application Service® (ERAS®) is a registered trademark of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and is used under the fair use doctrine. Med School Mentors is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with the AAMC.
United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) is a registered trademark of the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) and is used under the fair use doctrine. Med School Mentors is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with the NBME.